Friday, April 25, 2014

Enrique Iglesias' Billboard Cover: 5 Things We Learned

Billboard's latest cover star is Latin heartthrob Enrique Iglesias, and in this story, no topic is off-limits. Opening up about his strained relationship with his father, Anna Kournikova, the recent death of his dog and his new album "Sex and Love," Iglesias sheds some light on the pressure he has to keep building a massive music empire. "There's always some artists who don't need to fight, that get immediately played on Top 40 no matter whar -- you know you have a guaranteed Top 20 hit," he says. "I got to fight like it's my first record every time."
Go behind the scenes of Enrique's Billboard cover shoot in the exclusive video below, check out five things we learned about the "emotional" artist, and be sure to watch him perform live on the 2014 Billboard Latin Music Awards.

HE RARELY SEES HIS FAMOUS DAD. The singer confirms that his father, Julio, has not met his girlfriend of 12 years, Anna Kournikova. "The last 14 years, 15 years of my life have flown by. And that's the only way I can truly explain it. There's no reason why -- it's not his fault, and it's not my fault."

HE'S NOT SWEATING THE SLOW START FOR 'SEX.' New album "Sex and Love" debuted somewhat quietly at No. 8 on the Billboard 200, then slipped to No. 42 in its second week. But Iglesias has the long view - it took 18 months for 2010's 'Euphoria' to churn out two top five singles. "I've never been so focused on the first week. For me, it's about getting to the finish line," he says.

RECORDING STUDIO OR TV STUDIO? THAT'S EASY. In recent years, he has turned down multimillion-dollar deals to appear as a judge on "American Idol," "The X Factor" and the original cast of NBC's "The Voice." Why? Because they clashed with touring and album plans. "I cared more about going into the studio and writing songs," he says. "That's what makes me happier."

BEING 38 HAS ITS CHALLENGES. Iglesias is plagued with "killer" migraines and says he has hangovers that last for days, when they used to last hours in his 20s. As for his body: "The first two weeks of touring are tough on me because I notice it in my bones, in my joints, it's 'Whoa.'"

HIS OFFICE IS A MESS. Iglesias' corner office at his Mr. 305 Productions office in Miami serves as a storage room for his manager -- suitcases and boxes everywhere -- because he rarely comes by. The one personal touch? Piles of awards and platinum plaques. "I keep this stuff here so it stays out of my house," says Iglesias.

0 reviews:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Orkut RSS Feed Email More